Pension divorce

In the event of divorce, you are both entitled to half of your partners’ pensions. This is stated in the law. It only concerns the pension you accrued during your marriage or registered partnership. This division is called ‘pension equalization’. If you want to divide the pension differently, you can make agreements on this. You can have a notary write these agreements down in your prenuptial agreement or partnership agreement or you can have a lawyer or mediator write these agreements down in a divorce agreement. This is a document containing all the agreements, such as the distribution of your belongings, home, pension, debts and how you arrange alimony. You can also choose a different division. In that case you compensate your right to a pension with other rights. For example, if you receive a larger part of your pension, you can choose to receive less alimony from your spouse.